Followers

Thursday, January 28, 2010

David's Top Ten Fun Things !

10. Unraveling things ! My boy has been able to unravel carpet, throw blankets, sweaters and the time space continuum. This activity is inspired by his great love of...

9. Strings and ribbons ! Perfect for creative flapping. I've got to show him some rhythmic gymnastic footage. He might be fascinated by the grace and beauty of the event or he might think "Well, they *are* amateurs I guess I can cut them a little slack." I've seen him create knots in things within thirty seconds that I can't untangle in thirty minutes. Mastery !

8. Using Daddy as balancing beam. David was walking at seven months before his autism took him in a different direction but he never lost his amazing balance. One of his favorite things to do is put one foot on each of my legs while I'm sitting. Then he stands up and does some surfing. I hope he decides this isn't fun anymore before he turns ten. Can bruises have bruises ?

7. Doing dishes ! Well, sort of... he stand in front of me while I'm doing dishes and goes on suds destruction duty. If he's got a string or ribbon it gets a dunking. One thing more fun than flapping ribbons ? Flapping WET ribbons !

6. Kicking off his shoes when he gets off the bus and sitting in the snow. My friend and brilliant golf / life coach put it best when he asked when it was that we forgot the joy of kicking off our shoes and sitting in the snow. Tomorrow when my munchkin gets off the bus I might join him in this activity. Perspective ? Yes, please.

5. Bouncing ! Neither Tigger or Chuck Taine has anything on my bestest buddy. The world is David's trampoline.

4. Weatherscan powered by The Weather Channel. Weatherscan is basically Local on the 8s non-stop. Groovy music and lots of radar maps ? David's swaying time !

3. The consuming of and/or annihilation of food. 'Nuff said.

2. KISS, particularly their "Unplugged" session and the KISS:Symphony DVD. If David is in a terrible mood or having a meltdown. I put in a KISS CD or DVD and David almost always instantly calms down.

1. BATHS ! Tempest in a tea pot ? More like typhoon in a tub ! No matter how many times I start the bath water and explain to David that " Daddy doesn't want to get soaked today" I still get drenched along with the bathroom floor and the three of four towels that I use to sop up the flood. He loves the process though and what makes David happy usually makes Daddy happy... no matter how many times I say "Augh!" after a particularly devastating wave from the tub.

12 comments:

  1. Bless his heart. :) Thanks for sharing. I'm really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! I wish I had a helper with the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Good Boss! The Chuck Taine comment got me! <- Who are you, me? LOL I remember doing the suds thing as a kid also. Hell, I still do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You realize he keeps unraveling the time space continuum, so The Doctor will visit, right?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @comicgirl8. That's why David and the Doctor are pals !

    ReplyDelete
  6. David sounds a lot like my husband. People often ask why I married someone so much older than me. It's because he's still mentally younger than me in many ways. That's a good thing....

    Most of the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @emily I'm eight years older than my wife. Last night we both enjoyed "Race To Witch Mountain". Age really *is* only a number.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wet Ribbon Flapping should totally be an Olympic sport.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Turns tubs into his own personal wave pool, loves KISS, dancing to the weather channel, and pals with the Doctor? He sounds awesome!! That’s an extraordinary wee beastie you have there ;). Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I knew about this blog before it is very interesting Shawn
    You know my brother is retarded but it is so much like what a remember when he was home If he did not wander my parents would have been able to keep him home but he did and would not come when we called him. with me and two other kids in diapers they just couldn't I was 9 and there was Rick who was 2 and Fred was one year old when they had to put him in the care of experts.

    ReplyDelete