Followers

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Waiting For The Bus

Waiting for my son's bus to return him home from school is a magical part of my day. There was a time when I couldn't have imagined he could be anywhere without us. The effect autism has had on him has been so profound that the thought of leaving him in the care of others seemed impossible once he reached a certain size. At seven years of age his height and weight are in the upper 90 percentile. 4'4" and 106 pounds "of nothing but twisted steel" as I like to say. He goes to wonderful school where he is well cared for and they love him as a person.

My son does not speak. He makes a lot of noise but his only consistent "word" is BOO! or more frequently "Ah-Boo". ( His Aunt Christina and I have also used the variation "RAWR-Boo!" many times on Twitter as a greeting.) He is for the most part a happy little boy who communicates by dragging people where he wants to go and to things he wants to do. He does not fear new settings and situations as many people afflicted with autism do. He doesn't register the difference being one place to the next so his behavior is only effected by how he feels on a particular day. So he can be a human tornado in any setting though he's certainly easier to corral some days more than others. People look at us funny or give us wide berths at times but that doesn't really bother me anymore. I never really cared much what people thought anyway.

He flaps and hops a lot regardless of his moods. The downstairs apartment must love us since he has a jackhammer like hopping technique designed for maximum impact.

I'll talk a lot about my son and my beautiful and brilliant wife on this blog, among other happy things. ( Some silly, some not but I will try to maintain a more positive attitude.) Named after my best friend, my son's name is David and he is my whole world.

Daddy Love You All !

18 comments:

  1. It's it GREAT to have a place that cares for your young'un that you trust? That is a gift that I never take for granted. It's great for both you, AND the youngster.

    Happy blogging, PapaWiz! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first blog! All parents should love their kids that way.---JTShoemaker

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful a description about your feelings for David. Am so proud of you that you are sharing your life with so many others who might benefit from your experience and outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great!!! I love him and I have never met him...he's blessed to have you as parents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the wonderful responses. It's great to have beautiful friends to talk about my beautiful family to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're doing a blog, Cousin! It makes me smile to read about how happy David is. What an awesome little family y'all are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an astounding father you are, and how lucky David is to have you. Along with everyone else, I look forward to hearing more about all things wizardly and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you've started this blog. Your love for your son is apparent always, and I appreciate your willingness to share your life. Can't wait to read more :-)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're off to a great start on your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! A great beginning. May it give you support and solice and community and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kendra likes this...came to your blog via referral of Kate :) Nice to see this from a Father's perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect!! I look forward to reading more and more! You are a positive light in my otherwise cynical lifestyle. As my brother used to say when he was young: Cool and refreshing....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your son sounds amazing! If there is one thing I've learned from having a child on the autism spectrum, is that you can never take for granted all the wonderful things life has to offer. It seems you've learned that as well! Looking forward to reading more:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful description of your life and the role your son plays in it. I'm glad you're sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know you're one of my faves, doll. I look forward to reading more. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your lif with us. It might end up being a real help to parents of an autistic child.

    ReplyDelete