Followers

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's The Little Things

Today David's teacher , Ms. Mary, called and detailed with great exuberance what a wonderful day David had. He managed to work the drinking fountain on his own by pushing the button... with his belly. Ms. Mary also went into a gleeful account of how, after she said "Wheeeeeee" when pushing him on the swing, he repeated the syllable. David said "Wheeeeeeee"not once but several times. Ms. Mary made a point of letting me know she had witnesses to this one. That was big time. Finally Ms. Mary was told that he put both arms into his coat by himself, though she admitted, that she personally did not witness this.

When David returned from his triumphant day I gave him his bath and fortunately Mommy was home so I could show her his newest trick. I handed him the bath plug and asked David where it went. He threw it on floor of the tub and kicked it over the drain. Bonus ! GOAL !

David is seven.

As many of you know David is in the low functioning end of the Autism Spectrum. Every single tiny step in the direction of "neurotypical" behavior is like winning the lottery. Even if sometimes that behavior borders on sneaky. After his bath today David gave me his customary drying hug, when I realized that what he was really after was the toilet paper sitting on the shelf behind my head. He gleefully ran off, soaking wet, giggling and flapping a long piece of TP.

WIN !

BONUS : One day after I posted this entry David's teacher sent us of a picture of him drinking without assistance from the drinking fountain. Once we get a hold of a scanner we'll post 'em !

13 comments:

  1. Aw! This makes me feel so happy and proud for him! Bless his heart. Thanks for another lovely blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David the Conquerer! I can sorta imagine how you, your wife and the teacher feel after such a marveling day. You are a very special Family with a MOST special child <3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder where he got his keep sense of keen sense of wonders? LOL Awesome as usual sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo proud that I know you, Colton family! You are such an inspiration, a reminder that it IS the little things that make us happy, that make us feel whole and content and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! Go David! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, bless him. And his mommy and daddy too. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grew up with spina bifida having been paralysed 3 times, however a family across the road had twins and their 1 and only son was born autistic! His twin sister was born not of his greatness! I could go on to document our childhood but there is not much point! I had more run in's with Darrens sister than him(excluding our odd scuffles! I could not go to play on the road without getting a good old whack off Darren! But one day it came to a head, Darrens mother was dying from cancer, my mother was nursing her! Darrens sister saw fit to throw a 6x3 brick at me! and hit me on the top of my head!LONG STORY SHORT! Darren got the blame!
    Several years later I met Darren on a bus(whilst he was doing no good) and when I stood up and said "Now Darren me and you need to talk" Poor Darren did not know what to do he was caught and he returned to being that 6 yr old boy that I grew up with!
    To this day I still say hello and acknowledge all members of Darrens family! In a turn of respect Darren for some reason address my parents as MRS. or Mr. and treats me with respect and over all, as a friend!
    Some of us are born different but that does not make us "REALLY DIFFERENT"
    Sorry for such a long comment but it was the only way I could convey my thoughts!
    MJTB79 AKA Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your good day with us. All parents appreciate a good day with our kids, and you and MamaWizzard, especially. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that David's teacher calls to tell you good things! I'm pretty sure my mom was only ever scared to get a call from my teachers.

    And it sounds like David not only had a high functioning day, but a devilish one, too...which is the greatest payoff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I got tears in my eyes, as I read this! What an amazing day(s) you all had!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see the picture!!! :D

    ReplyDelete